We talked yesterday about cleaning out your cupboards and ridding all processed foods. Today, I am going to share some must haves for your fridge. It’s not enough to clean out the bad, we must now replace them with foods that change our health. Because, what you eat is just as important as what you don’t eat.
Superfoods are a special category of foods found in nature. By definition, they are calorie sparse and nutrient dense, meaning they pack a lot of punch for their weight as far as goodness goes. They are superior sources of anti-oxidants and essential nutrients – nutrients we need but cannot make ourselves. These nutritional powerhouse foods are loaded with nutrients crucial to a healthy, long life. If you can include a variety of them in your diet everyday, I promise they will change your life!
Here are 10 superfoods you can start eating today:
- Berries – Strong in antioxidants. They can help lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation. You can eat fresh or frozen. Add them on oatmeal, yogurt, or in your protein drink. Blythes Blueberry Muffins contain 2 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries and are delicious.
- Broccoli – High in cancer fighting phytochemicals. It is high in fiber and low in calories, making it a great fat loss vegetable.
- Green Tea – Known for its metabolism boosting effects. It also is a natural diuretic and contains antioxidants. Drink green tea in the morning and/or with your lunch. It naturally contains caffeine so be cautious drinking too late in the day. I also recommend loose leaf tea instead of teabags. I wrote a post earlier this year on tea. Click here if you want to read more.
- Wild Salmon – This is one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids. You must get wild caught. fFarm raised is corn/grain fed and lacks the omega nutrient. Here is a Salmon Marinade Recipe.
- Tomatoes – These are high in lycopene, which prevents cancer. You can eat fresh tomatoes or even tomatoes paste. Enjoy this on pizza, pasta or even kabobs.
- Nuts – Nuts contain mono and polyunsaturated fats, proteins, fiber, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, etc. Nuts are very calorie dense though. Know your portion sizes. Brazil nuts, walnuts, and almonds are my favorites.
- Yogurt – The bacterias in yogurt are so good for you and your digestive health. However, it can also be a sugar trap. Many people do not realize that the average 6 oz of berry flavored yogurt has about 25 grams of sugar! You are practically defeating the purpose of being healthy with that much sugar. Stay away from flavored yogurts all together. Buy nonfat, plain greek yogurt. If its a little bitter for you. You can add mixed berries or drizzle with natural honey. Berries, yogurt, and omega blast granola is a perfectly rounded breakfast or snack.
- Spinach – You can eat as much of this as you want and never have to worry about calories. I have always thought of this vegetable as a super slimmer! Any time I am trying to shed a pound or two, I eat tons of this! It is so nutrient dense. Even if you don’t like spinach, you can hide it well in this chocolate protein drink.
- Oats – Oats help to reduce cholesterol. They also provide you with low-gi carbs and are high in soluble fiber.
- Dark Chocolate – I saved the best for last! Yes, this is a super food. Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants and lowers blood pressure. When buying chocolate, be sure its at least 60% cocoa. The darker the better. Be sure to portion yourself to one or two small squares a night. Also be aware that it contains caffeine, so maybe not right before bed.
These are just a few of the superfoods I eat a lot. Do you have other ones that you love? I have it as a goal for the month of October to eat any 2 superfoods everyday. I challenge you to do the same! I hope that I get so used to what superfoods are and how to eat them, that it just becomes second nature to incorporate them everyday.
You Might Also Like...
Eating fresh produce is one of the best things you can do fo...
I can't believe it is already Monday. I look forward to this...
Thanksgiving is days away and I am very excited for it! Last...
The only vinegar that SHOULD be consumed daily. Benefits: ...
I realize we are already 3 months into 2013, but better late...