Thanksgiving is days away and I am very excited for it! Last night I did all the shopping for the big day and now it feels exceptionally close. We are hosting Turkey Day at our house this year and family flies in just hours before the feast. I have hosted Thanksgiving once before but only for 4 of my friends, so this is a little different. I also completely forgot to make the stuffing last time. I’m praying for a flawless day in the kitchen.
Everyone has their own game plan or theory on how to tackle the holidays without putting on the pounds. I believe this day comes once a year, enjoy it without going crazy. I put together a few tips that I think will help you to enjoy the day without feeling guilty.
- Work out first thing in the morning. Instead of taking the day off, get a little sweat session in before the festivities begin. Not only does this wake you up and get your endorphins pumping, it also sets the tone for your day. You are more likely to make smart food choices if you put some time into working out. It reminds you of your hard work and what your goals are.
- Do not skip breakfast. No matter how much you are planning to eat for dinner, you are not doing your body any favors by missing this meal. Get your metabolism working first thing in the morning, and you will process everything much better. Of course, I highly recommend the Glowing Green Smoothie.
- Drink water and tea throughout the day. Often, you may think you are hungry but you are actually just dehydrated. Drink warm water with lemon first thing in the morning and sip a cup of hot tea every few hours. Something like a chai or spice tea always makes me feel cozy and festive.
- Graze on veggies. If you are going to someone’s house for Thanksgiving and are not sure what they will have, bring a tray to share with everyone. By starting with fresh veggies you help to balance the PH level in your body which will help with bloating and digestion.
- Go for a post-dinner walk. Even a 10 minute stroll around the neighborhood will help your food settle well. I am going to try to get EVERYONE out of the house to go with me. The day is about spending time together and since my family doesn’t live here I especially want to spend every possible minute with them. 😉
What is your favorite part of Thanksgiving and how many of you will be making a turkey??
I will let you all know how it went next week.