-The skin is the largest most important elimination organ in the body and is responsible for one quarter of the body’s detoxification each day?
-The skin eliminates over one pound of waste acids each day in the average adult, most of it through the sweat glands?
-That the skin is known also as our third kidney?
-That the skin receives one third of all the blood circulated in the body?
-That the skin is the last to receive nutrients in the body, yet the first to show signs of imbalance or deficiency?
Detoxification is performed by a number of organs, glands, and transportation systems, including the skin, gut, kidneys, liver, lungs, lymphatic system, and mucous membranes.Since your skin is such a large and important part of your body and its functioning its important that we don’t forget it! I think so often when we think detox we think its only food, pills, or liquids. By brushing your skin as directed you can stimulate organs and exfoliate at the same time. Some in the natural health world would say dry brushing can have more benefits.
More Benefits of Dry Brushing:
1. Can help to remove cellulite
2. Cleanses the lymphatic system
3. Removes dead skin layers
4. Strengthens the immune system
5. Stimulates the hormone and oil-producing glands
6. Tightens the skin preventing premature aging
7. Stimulates circulation
8. Improves the function of the nervous system
9. Helps digestion
10. AND it’s easy, inexpensive and invigorating!
What You Need To Do Dry Brushing:
To dry brush, use a soft natural fiber brush with a long handle, so that you are able to reach all areas of your body. Mothers market is where I got mine.
Tips and Tricks for Dry Brushing:
-Always dry brush your dry and naked body before you shower or bathe because you will want to wash off the impurities from the skin as a result from the brushing action.
– You can do the brushing head-to-toe or toe-to-head. It really doesn’t matter as long as the entire body is brushed. Long sweeping strokes starting from the bottom of your feet upwards, and from the hands towards the shoulders, and on the torso in an upward direction help drain the lymph back to your heart. I like to start at the feet and work your way up.
-Use light pressure in areas where the skin is thin and harder pressure on places like the soles of the feet.
-Skin brushing should be performed once a day, preferably first thing in the morning. A thorough skin brushing can take as long as you want. I like to do mine in about 5 minutes so I can squeeze it in the morning. But if you have time a good 15 min brush is nice. You can also dry brush areas of cellulite five to 10 minutes twice a day to achieve cellulite dissolving but the technique needs to be done consistently for a minimum of five months.
–Finish up with your regular shower and ending with three hot and cold cycles. That means turning on the water as hot as you can take it for several seconds, then as cold as you can handle it, then hot, then cold for three cycles. End with either hot or cold. This will further invigorate the skin and stimulate blood circulation, bringing more blood to the outer layers of the skin. I know this sounds like the last thing you want to do, but if you want the benefits you will. Its amazing how you can get used to it and even begin to love it. I sometimes will sprinkle a little lemongrass oil in the shower while I do this to feel extra invigorating.
– After getting out of the shower, dry off and massage your skin with pure plant oils such as olive, avocado, apricot, almond, sesame, coconut or cocoa butter.
· Clean your skin brush using soap and water once a week. After rinsing, dry your skin brush in an open, sunny spot to prevent mildew.
How to Dry Brush (Easy, Fast Instructions):
1.Begin with your feet and brush vigorously in circular motions.
2.Continue brushing up your legs.
3.Proceed to your hands and arms. Start at fingers and work in to armpit. Helping the blood circulate to the heart.
4.Brush your entire back and abdomen area, shoulders and neck.
5.Use circular counter-clockwise strokes on the abdomen.
6.Lightly brush the breasts.
7.Brush upwards on the back and down from the neck. Better yet, have a friend, spouse or family member brush your back.
Most of this info was from the source “Teach Yourself Detox” which was one of the best gifts I have received. and Dr. Denice Moffat.
You Might Also Like...
In the last two months, I have really been compelled to eat ...
I had the pleasure of reading a book by a well known nutriti...
People are now reading nutrition labels on foods more than e...
"My life prior to my health journey was depr...
After hearing rave reviews for the last year, I ha...