I had the pleasure of reading a book by a well known nutritionist and beauty expert, Kymberly Snyder. Intrigued by health and nutrition, she traveled around the world learning age-old beauty secrets. She discovered that what you eat is the ultimate beauty product. She has helped many A-list celebrities and appeared on Good Morning America, Extra, Fox News, and Good Day LA as a nutrition expert. Her book “The Beauty Detox Solution“ has challenged me in many ways and I encourage you to read it as well. This smoothie is one of her recipes for breakfast. If this seems like a bit much for some of you, there are three different phases with recipes and guidelines to make it simple for wherever you are in your health journey. Many of you already thought I was crazy with cutting down on animal products and such, but I love some of the concepts in this book and am excited to give them a try. I have had this drink the last 4 days now and feel great!
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 of large bunch of organic spinach (or 3/4 of small bunch) / or Kale
- 3-4 stalks organic celery
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
- 1 organic banana
- Juice of 1/2 organic lemon
- Optional: 1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems okay), 1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems okay)
- Add the water and chopped head of romaine and spinach to the blender.
- Starting the blender on a low speed, mix until smooth.
- Add Spinach or Kale (I like to mix it up depending on what is in season or just for flavor variety).
- Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple, and pear.
- Add the cilantro and parsley if you choose. Fresh herbs, like cilantro and parsley, have cleansing properties that help extract heavy metals and other toxins from the body.
- Add the banana and lemon juice last.
This recipe produces about 60 ounces. Kimberly recommends that a woman drink about 16-25 ounces every morning. You can store the rest of the liquid for a day or portion it out and freeze. If you keep in in an air tight container, it will last for 3 days in your fridge. I also like to add about 3 ice cubes because it tastes better cold.
Watch this clip of Kymberly on Access Hollywood.