This recipe from Eating Well combined two of my favorite breakfast flavors. These muffins were a perfect combination of sweet chocolate-banana and bran. I was very happy with these and would definitely make them again.
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, (2 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk, (see Ingredient notes)
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran, (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full). Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
You Might Also Like...
INGREDIENTS 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled...
These are insanely addicting!!! Steve goes through phases wh...
We talked yesterday about cleaning out your cupboards and ri...
Fall brings many pleasures but it also brings it's small gif...
The other day we were coming home from San Diego and I was t...