I love having home made snack options on hand for Scarlett. These muffins are great because they are mostly sweetened with applesauce and bananas in place of sugar. There is some brown sugar but not that much when its split between 15 muffins. You can also use all applesauce in place of the oil, but I don’t mind a little bit. I would also try coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil next time.
I love knowing that she is getting a fruit and vegetable serving within this muffin. I also add flaxseed for some extra fiber. These are a very well liked snack in my house. I made some regular size muffins and then some mini ones because Scarlett loves having her own little ones.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded & moisture squeezed out
- 2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a muffin tin with reusable (or not) muffin cups or grease and flour the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, salt, and spices. Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Stir until just blended. Then stir in the grated zucchini and mashed banana.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups (an ice cream scoop works well). Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean. Let cool about 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan and eat!
You Might Also Like...
This was yummy! It was so fresh and flavorful. Refreshing ci...
Yesterday I gave Steve a list of options for dinner. As I wo...
I have been loving the website Twopeasandthierpod.com lately...
The other day we were coming home from San Diego and I was t...
This has been a GO TO dish of mine for a couple of years now...