In my attempts to prepare for baby Roose, you can bet I spent some time in the kitchen making some of our favorite meals to store in the freezer. I made this for my sister when she had Kinsley and also a batch for a friend of mine who is due the day after me. Maybe this will become a tradition for anyone having a baby. But don’t limit this soup to maternity leave, we have enjoyed this many times over the last few years. Steve says it is one of his favorite soups. It has some spice to it and the sour cream adds a nice finish.
Do not let the picture fool you!! Green isn’t always an appealing color with foods, but its delicious. It makes a lot so its great for sharing or storing in the freezer.
- 8 Cups fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 8 Portions chicken breast (about 2 pounds)
- 2 Packages Knorr Roasted Chicken Gravy Mix
- 3 Cans (7 ounces each) mild diced green chilies
- 6 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 Can (28 ounces) white hominy, drained
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1/2 Cup fat free sour cream
- In a large pot, combine chicken broth, onion and chicken breasts. Heat to boiling over high heat. Then reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is no longer pinck in the center, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken from the broth and set aside to cool.
- Use whisk to blend and gravy mix into the broth. Then add chilies, garlic, cilantro, cumin, jalapeños and hominy. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low. Shred the cooked chicken by pulling it apart with two forks, and add it back into the broth. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Warm flour tortillas by placing them between two damp paper towels and microwaving on high for 45 seconds.
- Spoon a portion of the green chili (about 1 1/2cups) into each bowl, top with a spoonful of diced tomato and a tablespoon of sour cream.
- Fold a warm tortilla, and place it beside the bowl of chili for dipping. Serve and enjoy!
You Might Also Like...
This was yummy! It was so fresh and flavorful. Refreshing ci...
I was excited when we got invited to a lobster and steak din...
Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite things to order at an...
One of my favorite dinners and I can not believe I have no p...
The other day we were coming home from San Diego and I was t...