Fall brings many pleasures but it also brings it’s small gift of misery wrapped up as a cold. Although I shouldn’t be, I was shocked at catching a head cold already. I say I shouldn’t be shocked because I have been on the go so much with family visiting and work. I probably haven’t been getting as much sleep as needed. I have been fighting this thing for 5 days now. I finally gave into it, sat myself out for the day and made soup. What cures a cold better than home made chicken noodle soup and movies?
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 12 cups fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 portions chicken breasts (about 2 lb), cut into bite size pieces
- 8 portions wide egg noodles (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T fresh dill, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and saute about 4 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnips, celery, bay leaves, black pepper, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add uncooked chicken pieces to broth and bring back up to a boil.
- Add noodles and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Remove bay leaves, then stir in parsley and dill.
- Ladle a portion of soup into each bowl. Serve and Enjoy!
This recipe is from the cookbook “Cooking for Life.” It is very healthy and of course all chicken noodle soups have healing powers 😉
You Might Also Like...
I am a huge fan of pita pizza. They are the ultimate way to ...
I have been loving the website Twopeasandthierpod.com lately...
With peaches and nectarines in season I can barely walk thro...
I would have to classify these in the "too good to be good f...
I love dishes like this because almost every one of the ingr...