One of my favorite things to make, when the weather turns cold, is soup! I’m constantly trying new soups, chilis, or anything warm with flavor. I saw this recipe for vegetable broth in Gwenyth Paltrow’s new cookbook. I have to say I was a little dumbfounded that I had not thought of making this before. Homemade vegetable stock is cheaper than buying a pre-made canned version and has so much more flavor. I made a butternut squash soup last night, and used this stock. It was amazing. You can make a few batches of this at once and keep it in your freezer until you need it.
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon course salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 quarts cold water
- Combine everything in a pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Let it cool and strain it into a clean container.
Keeps 1-2 weeks in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer.
You Might Also Like...
Light, fresh, and packed with protein and healthy fats, this...
Yum!! I know these "healthy snack/treats" are good when Stev...
I have been loving the website Twopeasandthierpod.com lately...
I feel like I am the only person who does not love their cro...
I love having home made snack options on hand for Scarlett. ...