I’m not sure if I should label these under cookie or healthy snack. They are healthy but taste like a treat! I am on a mission lately to find home made replacements for store bought bars. Having a protein bar on hand is nice when we are in a hurry and need a little something. The downfall to these is they can be expensive and most still contain some kind of fake sugar or preservative. I have stopped buying them but we are missing the easy snack option.
This is the first recipe that I have tried in this category and I am so glad to start off with ones that are so delicious. I got this recipe from bodyrock.tv. I love this site for quick intense workouts. They just started posting some recipes so I will definitely be trying a few and passing them on to you if I like them.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3 t baking powder
- 3 TB natural honey
- 3 TB coconut oil
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Grind oatmeal in coffee grinder or food processor then put in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add almond meal and baking powder, mix together.
- Stir in honey and coconut oil. * you can warm coconut oil in a pot before using to make it easier to mix in.
- Steam carrots until soft. Mash them like poatoes. You can use a fork our a hand mixer. Then add them to the mixture
- The dough should be moist and little bit sticky – if you find it too soft you can always add little more almond meal. The amount of dough you need for one ball depends on how big you want them to be. I made about 20 balls but would like to have made maybe 25.
- Place the balls in a non stick baking sheet and bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes on 350F.
- Let balls cool for 15 minutes before moving or eating.
This is a perfect pre and/or post workout option. They are very filling so be sure to only start with one and glass of water. If you are still hungry in 20 minutes have another. They are about 95 calories per ball. (If you make 20 balls)
You Might Also Like...
This is probably one of the recipes that I share the most. M...
I printed this recipe last year from a blog I liked and am j...
This was so good on the Black Bean and Mango Tostadas. It is...
I love minestrone soup and I love this one! This was a recip...
We have a farmers market very close to our new house and eve...