This is not your typical butternut squash soup. The curry flavor brings a unique sweet spice that really complements the flavor of the squash. I was shocked at my husband’s love for this soup. Not that I wasn’t expecting him to like it, I just didn’t know he was going to like it as much as he did. He asked me to make it again next week for his work potluck. 😉
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 Liter vegetable stock, warmed (just pour it into a microwave safe bowl or container and heat for two minutes)
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; saute for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the salt, pepper and curry powder; saute for two more minutes. Add squash and saute for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the stock into the pot. If it doesn’t cover the squash, add some boiling water until all the squash is submerged.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until squash is tender. Mine took about 30 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes, then blend until smooth. Be careful when blending hot foods, the steam can blow the lid off. I suggest doing small amounts at a time.
- Pour blended soup back into the pot, gently heat.
- Season with salt and serve.
I bought butternut squash that was already cut into 1 inch squares. This saved me some time and made it more enjoyable. I served this with yummy pita cheese bread. I’d say this is a must try for the holiday season.
This recipe is from My Fathers Daughter Cookbook.
You Might Also Like...
I had the pleasure of reading a book by a well known nutriti...
These are a yummy way to enjoy some hearty root vegetables. ...
Although you can buy unsweetened almond milk at Trader Joes ...
I have been loving the website Twopeasandthierpod.com lately...
This is a weekly dinner in our house and for good reason. Th...