We just got home from spending a week up north with my family. It was a great trip and I’m still adjusting to being back at home. Between celebrating thanksgiving early, going to a wedding, and airport food I was ready for some light clean eating. Being that we actually came home to fall weather I thought soup sounded great. I was going to make my favorite minestrone soup, but I decided to try something new instead. This vegetable soup was great and it made enough to enjoy for a few days.
A few of my family members are doing weight watchers so I heard them talking about “points” all week. I don’t know all the details of the diet, but I know that this soup has got to be next to no points. It is packed with veggies and nutrients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 box (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, basil, cumin, and red pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm.
You Might Also Like...
I have been reading up on the positive effects that pomegran...
I was excited when we got invited to a lobster and steak din...
Here’s one diet secret that will help curb your appetite so ...
I was so blessed to be a part of Mothers Day. Some people wo...
I love having home made snack options on hand for Scarlett. ...